National Database and Registration offers several services, and one such service is the NADRA Smart Card – a national Identity card with a chip embedded in it. This new chip-based design is now replacing all traditional Identity cards.
In this blog, we’re going to explore all there is to know about this smart card and why you need to consider it when making or renewing your NIC. Graana.com, Pakistan’s smartest property portal, helps with all you need to know about the process.
What is a NADRA Smart Card?
A NADRA smart card or a smart national Identity card (SNIC) is a national identity card with an addition of a chip inside the card that helps log information. It helps secure your identity and other vital records by adding a layer of biometric verification.
The chip can be used for identity verification and biometrics to ensure that everyone has an accurate data record free from duplication. This identity verification helps distribute pensions to their rightful holders, and participate in various social welfare programs and many other services. More of these services will shortly make holding a smart Identity card a necessity.
Overseas Pakistanis can also avail of this Smart National Identity card as a SNICOP. This allows them to participate in Government Rebates and other programmes to reward them for their remittances and manage them as well.
Features of NADRA Smart Card
The NADRA Smart Card is a multi-functional identity card issued by the National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) in Pakistan.
Here are some of its key features:
- Biometric Verification: The card contains biometric data, including fingerprints and facial recognition, to verify the cardholder’s identity.
- Personal Information: The card contains the cardholder’s name, address, date of birth, and gender.
- Electronic Signature: The card contains an electronic signature that can be used for secure online transactions.
- National Identification Number (NIN): The card includes a unique National Identification Number (NIN), the primary identifier for all official documents and transactions.
- Medical Information: The card can also contain medical information, such as blood type and allergies, to assist medical professionals in emergencies.
- Security Features: The card contains multiple security features, including holograms and micro text, to prevent counterfeiting and ensure the cardholder’s identity is protected.
- Digital Lock: The card also includes a digital lock that prevents unauthorized access to the information stored on the card.
- Multi-functional: The card can be used for multiple purposes, including as a passport, driving license, and voter ID.
Overall, the NADRA Smart Card is a secure and convenient way for citizens to prove their identity and access various services and benefits in Pakistan.
Why Opt for a NADRA Smart Card?
A smart card has several benefits, the biggest one being that it prevents blatant identity theft and fraud. A Smart card makes it difficult to emulate or duplicate any information as the data is digitally stored in an encrypted central database.
It also helps ease the identity verification process as the fingerprints are tied to your identity, meaning you can confirm your identity using your fingerprints.
How to Apply for NADRA’s Smart Card?
The NADRA smart card can be acquired from any NADRA centre, some of which operate 24/7 to make the process as hassle-free as possible. The SNIC can be delivered to your house, should you choose to do so.
Overseas Pakistanis do not have to go through the hassle of visiting an embassy to obtain their Smart Cards as the whole process of applying for the card has been entirely transferred online, meaning all it takes is a few clicks.
Online Application Process for Overseas Pakistanis
- Visit the Website Pak-Identity website
- Click on Apply Now/Login
- Register for an account
- Provide a valid email address and mobile number
- Chose the relevant category
- Fill out the application form accurately
- Pay the required Fee using either a Credit or Debit card
- Upload all documents and photographs
- Wait for the card to be delivered to your doorstep
For more information, watch this video.
Online Application Process for Regular Pakistani Citizens
For Regular Pakistani citizens, the NADRA centre has a counter for document submission and a picture booth. You fill out an application form and wait till they give you a receipt for the collection of your smart card.
If you chose the home delivery option, then you wait for a couple of days to have it delivered to your door.
Documents Required for NADRA’s Smart Card
NADRA’s smart card requires a lot of documents for verification, and it can be difficult to provide a comprehensive list. However, the NADRA government website has a tool on their website that makes this job a lot simpler.
You choose the specific form of identification you require and it lists all the documents necessary to complete the process.
There are three categories of delivery times. Normal (31 days), Urgent(23 days) and Executive(7 days). The prices will vary based on the category chosen. The delivery times are not fixed but are less likely to deviate wildly from the date given.
|Normal (PKR)||Urgent (PKR)||Executive (PKR)|
|Smart NIC New||
|Smart NIC Modification||
|Smart NIC Duplicate||750||1500||2500|
|Smart NIC Renewal||750||1500||2500|
|Overseas Pakistanis (Zone A)||Normal (USD)||Urgent (USD)||Executive (USD)|
|New Smart NICOP||39||57||75|
|Smart NICOP Modification||39||57||75|
|Smart NICOP Duplicate||39||57||75|
|Smart NICOP Renewal||39||57||75|
|Overseas Pakistanis (Zone B)||Normal (USD)||Urgent (USD)||Executive (USD)|
|New Smart NICOP||20||30||40|
|Smart NICOP Modification||20||30||40|
|Smart NICOP Duplicate||20||30||40|
|Smart NICOP Renewal||20||30||40|
What to Do in Case of Loss of NADRA Smart Card
NADRA has now removed the requirement of a First Information Report (FIR) to be submitted to obtain a duplicate SNIC. An FIR should be filed if the card is stolen to mitigate possible identity theft.
Download an undertaking form for duplication and fill it out as required to begin the reprinting process. The same charges apply for duplication, which has been listed above.
A NADRA smart card will be the standard in the coming times. A lot of incentives and exciting new features will be tied to these smart cards, meaning having one will be essential.
For more information, visit Graana blog