Plastic – one of the biggest threat to our Environment!
Over 300 million tons of plastic are produced annually.
9 million tons of plastic enter our oceans every year.
You may have heard these stats before, and thought about how it may not be because of you.
But did you know that the largest number plastic items found in the oceans are bottles, shopping bags, cups and straws?
Things essential in everyday life.
Do you know how long it takes for plastic to decompose?
The plastic shopping bags take 10-20 years, plastics bottles take 450 years and many plastics items take 1000 years to decompose.
So, if you think it’s not your issue, you’ve got to think again!
This World Environment Day, Graana.com brings you some simple suggestions on how as homeowners you can contribute to saving the environment while staying at home.
Replace plastic items
- While planning your monthly grocery shopping, ditch the plastic shopping bags and make sure to ask for cloth it paper bags.
- Incorporate the use of biodegradable bags instead of plastic bags.
- Replace plastic bottles with reusable water bottles.
- Integrate glass, wooden and steel containers in your kitchens, instead of plastic containers. This will not only cut down the use of plastic but also give a more chic look to your indoors.
- Use aluminium foil to cover containers instead of plastic wrap.
- Eliminate straws and cup lids from everyday routines.
- Are you already dreaming about the day COVID-19 so that you can throw the biggest party for your friends? Relatable. Friends, music, foooood…
Planned on how to serve them? Use a second-hand party set instead.
Why not paper plates, you ask? That’s another environmental hazard – deforestation.
- Replace the conventional plate table sheet and mats with hand-made or eco-friendly table mats.
That’s about kitchens and everyday use items. But we aren’t fully done yet.
From your toothbrushes to your everyday use toiletry items, everything has plastic. It is time to ditch those, in case you still haven’t started.
Looking for a substitute? Well…
- Use an Organic Toothbrushes.
Unfortunately, there isn’t a great deal that can be done to replace the plastic.
But that doesn’t mean there isn’t a solution.
If you can’t replace it… Reduce it!
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle!
You only have to follow these three simple steps
Buy larger volumes of plastic goods including tubes of toothpaste, facewashes, shampoos, dish-wash soaps. This REDUCES the packaging waste.
With this, also remember the cleaning essentials required to combat COVID-19.
REUSE plastic goods at home for different tasks like storage.
Done with plastic items and want to get rid of them?
RECYCLE the plastic items by sending to the local recycling plants.
Remember, we are Human and the Earth is the place we call Home.
“Human beings, have been given the dignity of choice. You can choose to be all or you can choose to be less. Why not stretch up to the full measure of the challenge and see what all you can do?”
An action may be small, but even one small change can have an impact we cannot even imagine.
While staying at home, this World Environment Day, let’s pledge to protect the place we call Home! 🙂
For blogs and news, visit Graana.com.