A great book should leave you with many experiences and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading. ~ William Styron.
Book reading is a habit that helps you explore the unknown and broadens the horizons of your knowledge. Books help you in every field of life and also enable you to become a better version of yourself.
There are a lot of media that can be used to understand the real estate market. However, it will not be wrong to say that books are the perfect medium for exploring the real estate market and understanding its ins and outs.
Whether you are already into real estate or someone who is about to step into real estate, reading the best books on commercial real estate investing is one of the best ways to educate yourself on the industry.
So, if you want to get familiarized with the real estate industry, here are the ten books you need to read on commercial real estate investing:
1.Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing: How to Successfully Build Wealth and Grow Passive Income from Your Rental Properties:
Doug Marshall has written the first book on our list. Mastering the Art of Commercial Real Estate Investing is a comprehensive yet very informative guide about the top principles and practices. The book spins around the notion that you can enhance your current income by investing in commercial real estate.
Doug Marshall, who has around 35 years of commercial real estate experience in rental properties, real estate finance, and investment, has written this fantastic piece of knowledge. The book looks into the six immutable laws of commercial real estate investing in building wealth and growing income. It caters to the best management of their property to reduce risks and remove pitfalls to keep their investing profitable. It also helps you find the best possible loan for their property to optimize its cash flow. Lastly, it also enables you to decide when to buy and when NOT to purchase your next rental property.
2.Commercial Real Estate Investing For Dummies:
The next read on our list, ‘Commercial Real Estate Investing for Dummies is written by Peter Conti, who walks you through the whole process of commercial real estate investing. If you are looking forward to becoming a retail real estate investor, this book is gold for you.
This one book covers all the essentials of commercial real estate, including how to find excellent properties, size up sellers, finance your investments, protect your assets, and increase your property’s value.
The book is all about practical advice on negotiation and closing win-win deals, and maximizing profit. It also helps the readers pick and choose the suitable properties at the right time for the right price.
Some of the major topics covered in the book are:
- Get leads on commercial property investments
- Determine what a property is worth
- Find the right financing for you
- Handle inspections and fix problems
- Make big money in land development
- Manage your properties or hire a pro
- Exploit the tax advantages of commercial real estate
- Find out what offers a seller really-really wants
- Perform due diligence before you make a deal
- Raise capital by forming partnerships
3. Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate: How a Small Investor Can Make It Big:
The very famous Brian H. Murray writes our next read. The book is a must-read for people who want to refresh their knowledge about real estate. The book is also the GOLD AWARD WINNER, Nonfiction Book Awards by Nonfiction Authors Association, and GOLD AWARD WINNER, 2018, Real Estate Book Awards.
Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate is all about properties that we think are unapproachable for ordinary people. The book is a beginner’s guide to investing based on the author’s personal experience.
The book covers the following topics:
- Find and creatively finance commercial property
- Grow a portfolio without any help from outside investors and without taking on excessive debt
- Use your small-investor status as a competitive advantage over corporate investors.
- Identify simple, practical ways to increase profits while keeping costs low
Apart from these topics, the author also included a list of real-life stories that reveal exactly how people establish a business.
4.The Due Diligence Handbook For Commercial Real Estate: A Proven System To Save Time, Money, Headaches And Create Value When Buying Commercial Real Estate:
This book, written by Brian Hennessey, is a must-have for people who are looking to save their hard-earned money for real estate investment. One of the most critical steps in commercial real estate is due diligence. Due diligence gives you a complete picture of real estate investment, and this book will help you with the process.
The book includes an easy-to-follow, proven step-by-step system that investors and real estate professionals regularly use while conducting their due diligence. After reading the book, you will be able to make informed and intelligent decisions when deciding whether to buy or not. It will also help you to stay miles from mistakes with costly consequences and create more value through investment.
Some of the topics covered in this book include
- negotiating the purchase and sale agreement.
- Reviewing the leases
- Uncovering hidden problems and issues
- Critical factors to consider during your financial analysis
- Not over-paying
- Physical and mechanical Inspection photos that show you what to look for and how to assess issues.
- Due diligence checklist
- Due diligence document checklist
- Sample tenant questionnaire
5. How to Succeed in Commercial Real Estate:
How to Succeed in Commercial Real Estate is a comprehensive yet practical guide for people considering entering the field of commercial real estate. It is the perfect resource for all professionals who want to evaluate and strengthen their current strategies, especially those related to listings, negotiations, contracts, and sales.
The book revolves around selling commercial property, including coverage of the four main specialty areas: retail, office, industrial, and investment.
The books talks in-depth about:
- choosing a company and a specialty that is a good fit for you.
- Sales strategies and sales point expressly to commercial real estate, including practical suggestions for countering other brokers.
- It also covers the importance of focusing on exclusive listings, finding and getting the best prospects, and the most effective strategies for marketing the property.
- Standard parts and negotiation points for contracts and forms, including earnest money agreements, leases, options, listings, counteroffers, and fee schedules.
- Rent and how it is calculated and quoted, including triple net, modified net, gross, and full-service leases.
- Technical knowledge including agency, law, appraisal, taxation, zoning, surveys, environmental investigations, investment analysis, risk comparison, exchanges, financing, and property management.
- The pros and cons of going independent and how to decide if it is the right move for you.
6.Commercial Real Estate Investing: A Creative Guide to Successfully Making Money:
Dolf de Roos’s Commercial Real Estate Investing talks about all the differences between residential and commercial investing and how you can pick and choose the right kind of properties to gain financial freedom.
The book explained the different sectors—retail, office space, industrial, hospitality, or specialist—to help you discover which is right for you. The author also shares key insights on finding tenants, avoiding vacancies, financing significant investments, managing property, setting a tax-smart corporate structure, and taking full advantage of tax breaks.
7.The How To Add Value Handbook For Commercial Real Estate: Generate More Income from Your Investment Property:
This book is full of essential pieces of information needed to succeed in commercial real estate. The book revolves around adding value and leasing. This information can be used across the various genres of commercial real estate investments, whether it’s an office and industrial, retail, or multi-family residential properties.
In this book, you will learn about:
- How to determine the best way to price the rental for your investment property to get it leased at the highest rent
- Tips and strategies to make your property attract tenants
- How to interview and hire the right people that will help you get your property leased and create more value
- How to structure your lease rate and terms to make the most value for your investment property
- How to incentivize tenants to lease in a down or overcrowded market
- Essential analysis forms, proposal and lease form samples, tenant application, and other forms that will help you to focus in, make it easier and more efficient
So, these are some of the best books on commercial real estate investing. Give these books a read and let us know about your views regarding them.
If you did not find your favorite book in this list, simply let us know in the comments section below and we will review the book for you.