In Pakistan, people seem to be confused between architects and contractors & their roles in the construction and remodelling of the house. The debate of ‘architect vs contractor’ is always on the table.
Architect vs Contractor – Which One is Better?
In this article, we bring you a concise yet informative comparison between an architect and a contractor so that you can decide who to hire for the remodelling of your house.
An architect is a person who plans, designs, and oversees the construction of buildings. To practice, architecture means to provide services in connection with the design of buildings and the space within the site surrounding the buildings that have human occupancy or use as their principal purpose.
Architects are a perfect blend of technicalities and creativity. They act as engineers and artists at the same time. They not only design the dream house of the clients but also ensure that the building code for safety is being met.
After meeting with clients and discussing their needs, architects create a scaled sketch of the project by keeping in view the location and plot dimensions. They may also frequently visit the building site and check its progress.
Responsibilities of an Architect
“Architecture is the learned game, correct and magnificent, of forms assembled in the light.”
– Le Corbusier.
The quote perfectly summed up the job nature and responsibilities of the architect. The architect has to perform the tasks of both the architect and the engineer.
Some of the major responsibilities of an architect include:
- Assisting the client in the careful selection of raw materials for the building. This includes all the grey material and interior of the house such as plywood, tiles, fixtures, etc.
- Architects also work as a liaison between the client and the contractor. They negotiate contracts with contractors to hire human resources for construction.
- Renovation is also a part of an architect’s job. They renovate parts of old buildings and restore them according to the choice and preference of their clients. Get to know home staging on budget.
- They also take into account the intended use of a building to ensure the best design.
- Now we have a fair idea about the job nature of an architect, it is time to develop an understanding of a contractor and his/her importance in the remodelling and construction of the house.
A contractor manages the construction of a building, which the architect designs. They are needed to actually execute the vision and are often the ones who hire subcontractors and construction workers to build the project.
Contractors are equally important for the construction of the house. A contractor is on-site while the building is in progress. Contractors follow architects’ plans and make sure that the building is constructed according to the plan and design made by the architect.
In short, the contractor is responsible for the supervision of the house. They are responsible for their building crew and ensure that all materials and layouts are built as planned and approved by the city.
Contractors meet with the architect and the client and develop an understanding of the construction project. Then, they do a cost estimation of a house or any building construction and offer their bid to the client. The major costs include direct material, labour, and machinery.
Responsibilities of the Contractor
- Completing jobs that are directly related to the construction of the house including roofing, flooring, and electrical work.
- Contractors also approve the building plans and permits from the development authorities of the city or region.
- Supervising construction crews to ensure the build is going to plan and everyone is safe. This also includes management and payments of materials and labour. Get to know basement construction costs in Pakistan.
- Utilizing power tools and other instruments, such as drills, hammers, and nailers, during construction.
Who do you Need to Remodel Your House?
Well, the answer is quite clear.
A house remodelling contractor and an architect have different responsibilities. You will be needing the expertise and knowledge of both parties. Both architects and contractors work with the client and ensure that the client’s vision becomes a reality.
Both parties also take into account the cost of the overall project and try their best to make it feasible. Architects focus on sketching out the details of the design, while contractors offer their expertise to the construction.
Architects and contractors share a symbiotic relationship. They complement the services and expertise of one another. For the successful completion of the project, one has to have both parties on board otherwise it is going to be a roller coaster ride full of risks and uncertainties. Get to know the best construction companies developing top real estate projects.
A seasoned architect will give a clear and practical design for the contractor to follow and the contractor will make sure to convert the design into a living reality. A contractor relies on the architect for information, while the architect trusts the contractor to execute their vision accordingly.
Get to know ways to protect your House from a break-in.
If you are hiring an architect to redesign a house, he will be able to touch the creative side only. He will design the remodelled version of your house but he may not be fully able to assist you in the construction of the house. For that, you may need the expertise of a remodelling contractor who helps you reconstruct and remodel your existing home.
We hope this article gave you a fair idea about the roles of both architects and contractors. The debate of architect vs contractor is very old and people often mix the two professions. However, in reality, this is not the case. Both look strikingly similar but they are poles apart from each other. The real estate industry is growing day by day people invest a lot in real estate because it is safe and secure. You can keep track of your property and sell the property when the prices are high.
We hope this article will be helpful to you. If you have any questions, leave a comment in the comment section below. We will be more than happy to help you.